A Minnesota woman suffering from a rare condition has fainted in the doorstep of the house she was supposed to move in with her husband whom she’s also allergic to. The man spent the last year renovating their house, using special paints, systems, and materials that would not trigger an allergic reaction in his wife. However, the pressure of the event itself and the smell of the new bathroom pipes made 29-year-old Johanna Watkins too sick to stand.
The woman has been living in a friend’s master bedroom that was specially redesigned to fit her needs. Hence, the room was all covered in plastic and the windows were sealed. Scott Watkins, her husband, was living in a different room downstairs and only got to see her when transporting Johanna to doctors’ appointments or emergency room visits.
Surprisingly enough, the woman is allergic to almost anything it moves, including her husband and her parents. The only people in her life she isn’t allergic to seem to be her three siblings. In 2015, Johanna was diagnosed with a rare condition, called mast cell syndrome. This causes cells to release wrong chemicals at the wrong time, in the wrong place, leading to an uncontrollable autoimmune response. Since her diagnosis, the woman’s condition got even worse. She ended developing new allergies by the year. Also, the symptoms are so severe that she can even suffer anaphylaxis. At some point, the family hosting Ms. Watkins were stunned to realize they were not even able to cook in their own kitchen because certain smells were too much to handle for the woman.
About a year ago, Scott Watkins, an elementary school teacher started working on their house in an effort to turn it into a safe space for his wife. He used a special system that would keep her room always ventilated and the furniture heated at a certain temperature so the smells wouldn’t interfere with the woman’s state of wellbeing. Unfortunately, on February 3rd, the woman almost made it to the emergency room as the allergic reaction caused by the smell of the new bathroom pipes caused her to black out for a couple of minutes. However, Johanna is now in good condition and slowly building tolerance to the new environment, Scott said in a Facebook post.
Image Source: Youtube