On December 10th, North Carolina authorities received multiple calls informing them that nearly two dozen people were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Paramedics who arrived at the scene shortly after treated approximately 30 individuals.
Some of them were in better condition than others, so they could be released from the paramedics’ care after a thorough checkup at the River Ridge Tap House restaurant, where the incident occurred. Fourteen people have been transported to a nearby hospital where they received more care.
Luckily, an off-duty firefighter was also in the restaurant when everything started. According to his story, the people around him started to behave in a strange manner. As he recalls, most of them started to go to the bathroom more frequently than usually which raised some red flags. The people affected by the carbon monoxide poisoning were displaying signs of nausea and experienced multiple symptoms associated with the condition, such as vomiting and headaches.
According to Steve Williams, the Lewisville Fire Department Chief Assistant, a malfunction in the restaurant’s heating system was responsible for the gas leak. When they arrived at the scene, the fire officials measured the levels of gas in the air. According to their report, the levels exceeded the normal amount sixfold.
Stephanie Miner, one of the victims, was in the restaurant at the time of the incident. She told the reporters that she did not know what was happening to her at the time and began to panic. However, looking at the bright side of things, she is happy that she was able to pull through.
One of the restaurant’s representatives, Ms. Jenna Edwards says that immediately after the incident, she called a heating technician who was able to fix the problem during the same night. Also, she also apologized to the people involved and expressed her concern toward the children that were also present at the time the gas leak occurred.
However, health officials say that everyone if out of danger and no major harm has been done. Because carbon monoxide is an odorless gas, also referred to as the “silent killer”, the River Ridge Tap House restaurant were not aware of the leak until the customers started to exhibit carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.
Image Source: Pixabay