A man from Lexington had the shock of his life after he discovered that he contracted necrotizing fasciitis, also known as the flesh-eating bacteria. The doctors said that the man is very lucky to be alive considering his experience.
Flesh-Eating Bacteria Entered Bloodstream through Small Cut
31-year-old Antoine Boylston of Lexington, Kentucky declared that he would never again crack his knuckles, following his run-in with necrotizing fasciitis. The man recalls being at work and, feeling his hands tired; he cracked his knuckles.
Boylston told the reporters that he felt a sharp pain in his hand, at first, and thought that he might have sprained his pinky finger. However, after a couple of hours, the man observed that his hand began to change color and that the pain wouldn’t go away.
Alarmed by this unfortunate turn of events, the Lexington man decided to go to the emergency room. Once there, the doctors realized that the man might have picked up the potentially deadly necrotizing fasciitis or flesh-eating bacteria which affects both organs and surrounding tissues.
Boylston recalls that the doctors first took a skin graft and covered the affected area, before rushing him to the operating room. To be able to stop the bacteria from spreading, the surgeons were forced to cut open Boylston’s arm from elbow to pinky finger.
Following the surgery, the Lexington man lost his pinky finger and the ability to use two of his fingers. The man recalled that during their attempts to rid him of the flesh-eating bacteria, the doctors temporarily shut off the blood flow to his arm and that the sensation could only be described as a coldness that burns.
Although the man’s hand was irreversibly damaged, the won the fight against the flesh-eating bacteria. Boylston, who also took up professional weightlifting, said that his condition is no excuse for wanting to improve yourself.
Image source: Flickr