A report revealed that U.S poison control center received nearly 17,000 calls regarding the children who inhaled the liquid of laundry detergent pods.
The data is based on the calls which the authority received in 2012 and 2013. Around 700 children inhaled the concentrated liquid and went to hospital. Approximately 80 percent of the children swallowed the laundry pod, whereas the rest of the children inhaled the detergent.
Undoubtedly, these laundry detergent pods are extremely handy. However, they are awfully dangerous for the children younger than three. These single load colorful packets of laundry detergents were introduced in the end of 2013. They contain concentrated chemicals in both liquid and powder form. Generally, they appear like a candy to the children, therefore it is suggested that parents should not use it.
Dr. Gary Smith, the main author of the study expressed that the report is definitely a shocking one. People usually observe these sort of medical cases in the hospital’s emergency. Thus Far, nobody has formed a proper report on it.
Moreover, Dr.Smith stated that there is not a single laundry pod in the market which is child resistant. Hence, it is better to make a national safety standard to ensure the safe packaging of detergents pods.
On the other hand, a few experts asserted that the report is a voluntary effort of Smith; therefore these figures might be an underestimation.
The report is printed in the 15th November’s edition of journal Pediatrics.