The authorities in Lindon have issued a boil order because a water sample tested positive for E. coli last Friday. According to Adam Cowie, Lindon City Administrator, the specialists will flush and chlorinate the culinary water system in order to prevent people from contracting the bacteria.
Also, the authorities have joined their efforts with the Utah Health Department and the Department of Environmental Quality to address this issue as soon as possible. Residents are prompted to boil the water very well before using it for cooking.
In addition, the public health officials strongly recommend locals to drink bottled water. The experts will take more samples which will be sent for lab testing. According to Cowie, this process will take roughly 24 hours, so locals should boil the tap water until the problem is solved.
The city officials will post additional information and all updates on the Lindon City official Facebook page. Cowie says that the specialists discovered the E. coli contamination during a routine testing.
Although the water system will be cleansed, the investigators will take a few more samples to make sure that the water is safe for consumption. The E. coli contamination might have been caused by run-off, broken pipes, or a malfunction of the water treatment facility.
Worse, the water might have also been contaminated with animal or human waste. A similar incident occurred in 2012. Back then, the residents were also urged to stick to the boil order to avoid getting infected with E. coli.
Fortunately, Orem residents have no reason for concern as they don’t share the same water system with the Lindon residents. Also, both cities use different systems for storing and treating water.
The people who get infected with E. coli might experience mild symptoms similar to the flu, such as headaches, nausea, cramps, fever, vomiting, dehydration, and diarrhea among others. Those most at risk are pregnant women, seniors, people with weak immune systems, and children. E. coli bacteria are sometimes found in food as well. More precisely, U.S. food companies have issued many recalls of their products every year due to a possible contamination with this dangerous pathogen.