Last month, a couple from Berea, Ohio was brought in on felony charges after the father found his young boy unresponsive in his bed. The 7-yer-old’s father and his girlfriend were both heroin addicts, and the boy accidentally came in contact with the drug. On Friday, February 17th, Charles Dowdy and Danielle Simko appeared in a Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court, after being indicted with endangering children and drug possession. Both of them are held on a $150,000 bond at the moment.
After making their first appearance in court on January 11th in relation to their son’s case, the couple’s next hearing is scheduled for early Wednesday, February 22nd. The case turned a lot of heads, especially with the nation’s opioid crisis at hand.
According to official court documents, the 7-year-old’s father, Charles Dowdy, found his son unresponsive in his bed early in the morning. Dowdy told authorities that he woke up only to find the young boy was not breathing and his lips had turned blue. The man said he immediately alerted authorities. As the boy’s mother was waiting for the emergency responders to arrive, the father was frantically attempting to resuscitate his son but to no avail.
The responding officers took over the live saving procedures shortly after arriving at the scene. Fortunately, the paramedics were able to find a weak pulse. As a result, they stopped compressions and rushed the young boy to an area hospital for further treatment.
Employees at the Southwest General Medical Center searched the boy for any substances that might have caused the severe reaction and found a bag of prescription pills and heroin in his socks. The 7-year-old’s parents admitted to drug use earlier in the day when questioned by the authorities and were arrested on the spot. Both parents have hired legal teams to represent them in the upcoming trial.
In the meantime, the young boy was removed from their care and placed with his relatives, said a spokeswoman for the police department. Even though he was the youngest overdose victim Berea authorities ever dealt with, the boy made a full recovery and is now in good care.
Image Source: Youtube