Mali is taking all the right measures against the spread of Ebola and so far have somewhat succeeded in their attempt as well. Mali has not registered any new cases since a toddler traveling from Guinea became the country’s first case last month.
The child’s death on Oct. 24 is Mali’s only known Ebola case, while nearly 5,000 others have succumbed to the virus across West Africa.
Nearly 30 members of a family that was visited by the two-year-old girl, who later died of Ebola, have now been released from 21-day quarantine after they showed no symptoms of the disease, Malian health officials said Tuesday. The family is now free to move about, Markatie Daou, said a spokesman for the Malian Health Department.
People with Ebola are only contagious when they are showing symptoms, and health officials have said that the little girl was bleeding from her nose when she passed through the capital en route to the western city of Kayes where she died.
Mali is not completely clear yet as about 50 others who had possible contact with the girl remain under observation in Kayes. They will be released from quarantine on Nov. 16 if they do not show symptoms, Daou said.
Mali, which shares a porous land border with Guinea, has long been seen as vulnerable to Ebola because of the large number of people moving back and forth between the two countries.
Mali’s persistent use of “contact tracing, isolation and monitoring” helped to prevent the spread of Ebola, said WHO praising the country’s health officials.